Friday, September 16, 2011

A Day in the Life

I began my day by going to the Hellenic Post (Greek post office). I bought some Greek stamps and I hope to buy some postcards soon. If you'd like a postcard, please send me your address, unless of course I've already got your address.


After breakfast I went to work at the Blegen Library. The library is non-circulating, so that means we take books from the shelves and leave behind cards that tell what book is missing and where's it's gone to.  In my case, they've gone to table 16.




Our mailboxes are in the reception area of the library and I finally got some mail, which was, without a doubt, the most exciting part of my day (though I did like our tour of the Archives and of the famous Wiener Lab).  The brown letter is from Lisa and the pink card is from Helen.



On my way to the Carrefour, I stopped at Goody's for lunch. Goody's has been described as the Greek equivalent of McDonald's. I had a kid's meal which was cheap and tasty enough. American hip-hop music videos were playing on a big flat screen TV and the cashier spoke English to me after my mangled attempt to order in Greek. I was a little disappointed.



On my way home, I took a picture of this sculpture which acts as the landmark to tell me onto which street to turn.



And here's a picture of the place I call home these days.  I live on the top floor of Loring Hall with 6 or 7 other women.  The men are in the basement of this building or in the adjacent annex.  






1 comment:

  1. That sculpture moves amazingly fast to be so stationary!
    I'm glad the Greeks finally proved they could deliver mail.

    ReplyDelete