Sunday, September 11, 2011

Venturing into Athens

Yesterday I walked to the Carrefour "hypermarket" which is an international grocery store not unlike a super-Walmart to buy some essentials like a hair dryer, tissues, and candy.  I also went to several phone stores to compare prices and bought the pay-as-you-go cell phone pictured below for € 18.



It also came charged with € 10 worth of minutes for free.  I plan on only using it for calls and texts within Greece but it's a comfort knowing that if I get lost, I can call someone!  It's funny how being in a foreign country makes everyday outings like going to the grocery store and buying a cell phone such an adventure.

On a google map set up by former Regular Members I found a sushi restaurant not far from the School which several of us tried last night.  It was delicious!  I was (and still am) so excited about having good sushi nearby.  There's also an Indian place that's a bit farther away I can't wait to try.

Tonight we had our meet and greet pizza party among the columns between the Gennadius Library and the marble Canaday House where the Mellon Professor lives each year.  There are still so many people at the School I've not met yet but I did finally meet Rob, the son of Laura Kastens' best friend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment