Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Trip 1, Day 1 (September 20): Kalydon, Oiniadai, Garden of Heroes, Nafpaktos

It probably won't come as a surprise to any of you who know me well, but I was the one who slept through the alarm and then slept through several people knocking on my door on Tuesday morning.  Finally, at 6:59, Stephanie came back to try again since we were leaving at 7 and I still hadn't shown up.  She pounded on the door and I was sure when I woke up that it was 1 am and that something was amiss.  It's a good thing I had packed my clothes and most of everything the night before.  I did, however, forget my computer power adapter but thankfully my roommate tonight has one that seems to be working to charge my laptop.

On our way to our first site, we crossed the longest suspension bridge over water in the world.



As we got out to take pictures, it started raining.  It continued raining when we arrived at our first stop, Kalydon, as in the famous Kalydonian boar hunt story.  Despite the rain, Jess stoically gave her report on the temple of Artemis Laphria, pictured below.


We also got to go into the tomb of the Hellenistic Heroon on the site not far from the temple. We were warned to be careful of bats but didn't see any.


Inside the tomb were stone beds complete with stone pillows.  The picture doesn't do it justice.  At Oiniadai, we looked at a monumental shipshed and Kyle gave his report about the city and the ruins.


Much of the city wall is still standing as well.


We scrambled up to the top of some of the city walls, back down the other side, over a fence, through some brush, and up a hill to see the theater.


There are inscriptions on some of the seats recording the manumission of slaves. This one was really visible still.

We stopped in Messolonghi, a city famous for the seiges during the Greek War of Independence, to have lunch and then visited the Sacred Garden of Heroes commemorating the heroes of that war. Byron, though he died here of disease, is honored for his efforts in gaining Greek independence.  


Our last stop of the day was at Nafpaktos where the Battle of Lepanto occurred in 1571.  It was a sea battle between Turks and Christians in which, after the ammunition was all gone, the sailors resorted to throwing oranges and limes at each other.



We stayed here:  http://www.akti.gr/  At dinnertime, some of the girls and I went walking along the water and caught this sunset view of the bridge we saw earlier in the day.  Again, the picture doesn't do it justice.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the picture postcard tour. The new popular bridge design is gorgeous everywhere, reminding me of sails upon ships, but the longest span would be wonderful to experience. The sunset beyond the bridge is lovely. I also love the rocky terrain you captured and the stone pillows that somehow look comfortable.

    ReplyDelete