Thursday, September 15, 2011

Running at the Panathenaic Stadium

I got up at 6:00 this morning so I could go running at the Panathenaic Stadium. It was well worth the missed sleep.


I made the picture big so you can see the Parthenon atop the Acropolis. The sun comes up a little later here because Athens is a city surrounded by hills and so there wasn't much light, but still, what a view!

The stadium is made entirely of white marble and was the site of the ancient Panathenaic Games. In 1895 the stadium was refurbished for the first modern Olympic Games in 1896. Look at all that marble!


One can also see Mt. Lykavettos from the stadium.  That's the little white church I photographed the other day on the top.



Unfortunately, this also means the stadium is downhill from the American School.  Though, I think, the uphill walk back this morning completely compensates for my terribly slow run which involved more walking than I would have liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment